Friday, July 13, 2012

More bottom work

After a day of letting the dry fiberglass settle it was time for the epoxy. Started on a cool morning so I'd get plenty of time to work each batch and spread it slowly using a 3" plastic spreader. I started from the top centerline, giving it time to saturate the two layers of 4 ounce cloth and working it down the sides. I finished with the transom and was glad I'd rounded over the planks.

About eight hours later, I decided to apply the box rubbing strake and skeg I'd already fitted out. Any longer and I'd loose the chemical bond between the fillet supporting the skeg and fiberglass. You'll note in the picture I used a chalk line down the center line to help.


I also cut along the blue painters tape with a sharp razor and pulling the still flexible fiberglass. It's a trick I'd seen Warren Messer of redbarnboats use on one of his YouTube videos that worked really well. 

The rest didn't go so well. I mixed in a too much filleting blend into the epoxy to fill the weave. It made the 2nd layer a lot harder to apply and added more work to get a smooth finish. I finished the skeg fillets at this point with a thicker bonding filler. After a light sanding it's ready for paint. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment