Friday, July 13, 2012

Gluing the seats

Turned the hull over. During the last boat I built, I forgot to paint under the seats before they were epoxied down; what a pain (I did it with a my arm covered in a elbow high glove and several cans of spray paint. I didn't repeat that mistake.

I marked up where supports landed under the seat and painted between them as well as the compartment. The picture also shows the hatch plate support and the doubler that fits under curved extension beyond the bulkhead support.






To fit the seat, I covered the bare wood underneath with thickened epoxy, used a few clamps where they could reach and used drilled through round scraps down the center line into the support splines to hold everything down. On prior boats, 

On prior boats, I've added support cleats and used fiberglass to tape the seat to the sides. On this boat, I decided to forgo the cleats and and add thickened epoxy faired to the sides. The first batch of epoxy was too thin and some ran into the hatch--wasting an ounce or so, but it's all hidden and was easy to fix.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment