Saturday, July 21, 2012

Front deck

Placing the front deck turned out to be more adventurous than I thought it would be. On a prior boat, I'd mounted a small deck with only one supporting beam at the end. That was pretty easy the plywood bending it's own radius down to the gunwale and remaining relatively straight. This deck didn't go so easy--it's longer and the shear line has a good bend. 

When I dry fit the front deck, rather than stay straight up the center line, it bent down taking a stressed compound and unflattering curve from the stem to the arched support deck. I had two choices. One is I could add a few support beams, but I wanted to use that only as a last resort because I wanted to keep the weight down. My other preferred option was to screw a temporary center line straight beam, clamp down the plywood to the sheer line, wet the plywood until it took on the right compound shape and then let it dry to keep that shape. I used 18 clamps and wet hot towels for a few hours that letting it dry overnight.   

You can see the results below. You'll probably not I've started painting. Boat is coming along nicely. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment