Friday, July 6, 2012

Fiberglass the bottom

I decided to use 4 ounce fiberglass on the outside, but doubled in two layers over the bottom and lower chine. I needed two 50" wide overlapping strips. I applied 1" blue painters tape close to the gunwale. Next I laid out the first piece to completely cover the bottom plank dry carefully then running my hands stretching it down each plank and tacking it down with small dabs from a glue gun on top of the painters tape. I trimmed it so it overlapped the chine by about 2". I did the second piece the same way setting it up to overlap the opposite lower chine and stretching it over and down along each plank till it was flat down to the gunwales. The result will be 8 ounce coverage of the bottom and 4 ounce fiberglass on the sides and transom. I let the both pieces set overnight. (see picture below).


No comments:

Post a Comment