Sunday, July 1, 2012

Fitting the seats

This went easier than I'd planned. For the sides, I measured the width from the spline center line at the end and at each the frame and support beams. I fit a 1/4" batten to scribe the line. To improve the looks, I extended each seat  beyond the bulkheads for the end seats, and supports for the mid seat into a nice curve using a 48" radius and a french curve. The overlap is between 1 1/2" and 4";  not shown in the picture is a doubler under this extended set for strength and so I can make a nice rounded end. It looks a lot better than straight ended seats. 

I put a 6" hatch in the bow seat and a 4 1/2" in the aft seat. I'd put the hatches at the end of the bulkheads in my other boats, mostly to hide them. But I've found they are difficult to use, usually an exercise and kneeling and groping around for keys, wallet or what ever else got tucked inside. With top mounted hatches will be more handy.

I have an old 10W Minn Kota trolling motor I hung off the standard side (see picture) as a mock up. Though smaller than most available today, it should push this tiny boat fine up the slow rivers and quiet ponds I intend to use it on. I'll pair it up with a U1 deep cycle battery that should give a at least a few hours of power. I'll have to built some sort of tiller extender. I see myself barely moving as I carefully stand up and scout for surfacing trout or crouched down camera and telephoto lens at the ready while I approach some wild life.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment