Friday, March 23, 2012

Completing the Seat Tops

Decided to double check the hull before trimming the seats because after the seat sides are created, it's very difficult to make any further changes. I tweaked a few things using the scale tool applied to difference layers. I built each layer as a boat part (e.g. shear plant, chine plank etc). Still trying to keep hull weight and the boats purpose for rowing, fishing and photograph in mind, I reduced the bow height to 21", which will be fine for the protected waters where I plan to use this boat. I raised the minimum shear height to 14 inches for good rowing oarlock positions; this required I do some proportional scaling (manually) from the bow to middle of the boat for the sheer and mid planks. Lastly at 4 inches draft the displacement was 260 pounds which was a bit low. Against for rowing without an outrigger, I scaled the overall beam to 41" wide and increased the bottom beam by almost two inches to raise displacement to 300 pounds--a knowing compromise to get better initial stability while probably reducing speed.

I shifted the mid seat aft by a few inches so it was over the center of buoyancy (`6.4' from stern). From prior boats, I know water tends to pool in the end seats so raised the ends by a half inch so they had a gentle slope. Using the point>intersect-layers command identified where each seat intersected the middle plank. Then it was a simple matter of collapsing the points outside the hull so their outside edges fell on the mid plank points.

The results are below:
Next time I'll add bulkheads and the hull weight estimate.

No comments:

Post a Comment