Friday, March 23, 2012

Bulkheads

Added bulkhead, which also serve as the three primary frames. While stitch and glue construction can be done without a frame, it's difficult to control the thin plywood; adding a frame helps. The aft and bow frame will serve as bulkheads for the water tight compartments as well as support the seat. The midship frame will support the mid seat and will be hollowed out to save weight. In Freeship there are several ways to do this. I added transverse planes, copies the intersections with the planks, removed the planes, than built the frames point by point. It's a bit tedious but gives good result. It also gives me good outline from which I can subtract the planking thickness later to get exact frame dimensions.

Freeship allows each layer, which in this case is each part of the boat, to have a set thickness and pounds per cubic foot. I plan to use occume mahogany, with an average density of 27 pounds per cubic foot. I set it as 30 pounds in Freeship with mostly 1/4 inch plywood. That gives me a total on only 49 pounds so far; I'm not done yet, but that's encouraging. This little car-topper looks realistic!

Next I'll add the supporting frames for the seats and start on the developed parts layout on sheet plywood. I hope to order the wood by next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment