Sunday, June 23, 2013

Shaping and art ideas

I rounded the shaft by marking using this rounding jig similar to Jim Michalak's, but using screws 2 3/8" apart and holes centered 1" apart for the pencils. The jig follows the taper and marks where to plane each corner so it's eight sided. 

I further planed off the corners to create a 16 sided shaft. From there I used 80 grit strips of paper, holding each side sanding side to side to round out the shaft. Overall about two hours of work and a bit of sweat but not too difficult. The handles (not shown) were done the same way.

To shape the blades I drew a center line and again hand planed each to a 1/4" beveled edge, checking every few minutes with a 6" straight edge and finishing off with a half sheet pad sander. I further tapered and rounded the shaft past the neck where they sandwich the blades to about 1/4" thick. 
 I sanded everything down with medium grit than fine grit.

I traced art work on each blade which I will fill with colored pencils similar to the dory's art, using water edge plants to stay with the Sundew theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment