Monday, August 20, 2012

Testing to destruction

One of my first post I mentioned some of the other boats I've built. (I'm a serial boat builder). One that sat in the harsh WA weather for nearly 3 years had rotted so badly I decided to cut it up and haul it to the dump. It was a good chance to look at where the wood failed as well as the construction durability.

The extent of the delamination. Even marine plywood has limits--this boat was outside, uncovered for 3 years with "protected with two coats of latex exterior house paint (I won't do that again).

The Seat fillets were still strong.

Doublers and siliconed plastic hatches stayed dry and strong.

 A good look at the tape and seam cross section--no rot.
 The top of the dagger board and seat did not have doublers and were only varnished to protect the end grains. Even though the boat was upside down--it obviously wasn't enough. Epoxy seal your end grains!

No comments:

Post a Comment