Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Cutting wood

This is going too slow. Last week I started to mark the plywood and yesterday, after double, triple and quadruple checking (hehe), started to cut out the bottom and lower planks. Quite a few people recommended a circular saw with a plywood blade set shallow just deep enough to make a clean cut. I tried it but didn't like the results, more dangerous, even the subtle curve bogged the saw enough to make me nervous. To be fair I was using a cordless 5 1/2 saw which I've successfully used to cut up to 1 inch stock with no problem; it just didn't work well for plywood. So I went back to my variable jig saw with a fine blade and small rotation, for a slower but very precise cut. 

I've also built a rolling cradle for the boat, mostly to move outside for sanding and to make room in my garage. Below are pictures of the cradle with the bottom piece, initial stitching just enough to see some shape; and of the dry fit stem. So far so good.



No comments:

Post a Comment