Thursday, April 26, 2012

I made a few minor changes to the design...but I'll show that next time along with the plywood layout.

I ordered four sheets of 6mm Okoume from Edensaw woods http://www.edensaw.com/ which was about the same cost as other sources but I could pick it up in Tacoma without paying $40 a sheet just for transportation.



I ordered a gallon of Raka resin and its 350 hardener. It gets good reviews and easy to mix 2:1 ratio.To start off, I scarfed the plywood together into 2 4'x8'x16' sheets using 10:1 slope. I used a plane to remove most of the wood and finished with a belt sander and flat vibration sheet sander. As you can see the layers make a nice guideline. 
















I mixed up a couple ounces of epoxy, applied it to the feathered ends, let it soak in a few minutes. Next I mixed in some wood flour until it was like thin peanut butter and used a wooden fork put a thin layer on the plywood before joining the scarfs together. I held down each pair with a line of filled water jugs for two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment